- 1.a group of people living in the same place or having a particular characteristic in common.
- a feeling of fellowship with others, as a result of sharing common attitudes, interests, and goals.
I have some pretty strong beliefs about what it’s going to take to keep our communities thriving in the midst of the COVID-19 quarantine, beliefs that involve keeping our most cherished businesses alive and well while taking care of those we love the most. I wrote about local restaurants a couple of weeks ago and now I want to focus on other small businesses that have taken their products online and are having to constantly change in this ever-changing world we live in right now.
If we are able, we all shop. It is one of the things that give us joy. I know I love to do some online retail therapy and being able to support small businesses while doing so makes it that much better. The way I think about it is if you can help someone pay their rent, or keep the lights on, or buy groceries then you’ve made a difference. This creates a system in which consumerism and sustainability go hand in hand. You know where your product is coming from, you know who made it, and you know what’s in it. That, for me, is where it’s at. I hope you will join me in supporting the businesses below in whatever form you are able to, every dollar counts and in the end, it makes our communities a stronger, more sustainable environment.
The businesses I am focusing on below deal in fashion and accessories, self-care, wellness & beauty. They keep us feeling our best and have many suggestions during this time to help us navigate an unknown world where we are all at home staying safe and sound. Many of them are offering online shopping, curbside pickup, gift card options and more. There are links to each business website as well as their options listed below each link. This list may evolve and change as people reach out to me to add to this list. IF you are reading this and don’t see yourself and you have something to offer in this realm, reach out and I will include you.
From the very first time I met Kinsey in her first (tiny) shop at Mill No. 5, I have treasured every conversation and every hug. She taught me so much about teas, self care, and is just an amazing woman.
- Order online – can be shipped straight to you.
- Offering pickup as well with a discount code, please email email@example.com if you prefer this option
- Tea design: Either online custom that you can build yourself or schedule a phone or zoom meeting for a “tea & chat” to discuss options
- For customers who need it there is a discount code for the custom tea or tea and chat – 30% off with code WAITT ( We’re all in this together)
- Self-care options – “Elements” boxes where you can choose an object from each event and they will curate from the shop for you
I have had many a haircut or blowdry at this local salon that is always evolving to do whats best for their clients. With a glass of wine in hand, some good conversation with stylists, it has been one of my favorite salons to go to.
- Doing phone, email & social media hair consultations
- How to’s, what to use, what to do in a pinch etc.
- Gift card purchases, with every $100 dollars you spend you get a 20% off card to put towards any service or products
- This is such a great and easy way to support!
- Reach out, call the salon and they will get back to you- just do it, you have all the time in the world right now!
- They are doing curbside pickup Mondays and Fridays from 1pm-4pm
Flower Mill has been apart of my life for several years now, I bought my first ever flower crown there for Lowell Folk Fest. Welcoming, warm and inviting. So proud to have this beautiful shop in our community.
- The best way to support them right now is through the Pandemic Support Team that Noreast Custom Apparel created. I will be posting more information on this below.
A pro-melanin skincare line that smells & feels beautiful. Making for a wonderful combination for your skin.
- Currently running a 20% off Spring promotion, applied at checkout.
- Shipping directly to your house
A yoga studio based in Lowell. I have been many times and always feel great after classes.
- Offering virtual Zoom classes
- Check out their website and social media pages for more details
- Products available for purchase via the link above
- Holding live sessions of “Hair 101”, every Wednesday on all social medial outlets
- FB Page Kyra Hunter, LLC
- IG @ModaDeluxeStudio
- IG @kyrahunterllc
- FB profile Kyra Hunter
- Free shipping when you spend $75 or more with code FREESHIP
The Afrona is the only hat of its kind that keeps your crown and your curls beautiful and voluminous. I own one and love it for taking care of my curls while I sleep.
- 15% discount code Royalty15
- Shipping directly to your house
- Beautiful, incredibly well-made product
The woman behind this brand is a beautiful soul that is kind and really wants to help with all your self care needs.
- Ships directly to your house if you order online
- Also scheduling pickup, which you can schedule via email
- Soaps, moisterizers and so much more
I have known this sister duo for some years now and they are feminine, edgy and voracious. Their fierce energy makes them champions for women and the their jewelry is beautiful.
- Their Etsy shop is open for online shopping, linked above
- Their IG has more recent pieces that aren’t yet on their Etsy shop, message them to order these
- Offering curbside pick up for all orders at their local studio ( 122 Western Ave, Lowell, MA) – by appointment only
- Free shipping on all orders
- E-gift cards for sale through Square, reach out to them to purchase gift cards.
- Custom orders are still being accepted, reach out to them if there is something you want made – firstname.lastname@example.org
A women-owned business with an incredible designer at the helm.
- Available to shop online
- Entire selection of t-shirts and tanks as well as a small selection of their fashion show samples.
- Brand new style just added designed by Squid Pie Printing –>part of an initiative to help small businesses
- Every order will come with sticker during the stay at home order in place ( except Squid Pie shirts)
A brand that I have been apart of for many years. Empowering, community oriented and relevant.
- Inventory for sale online, linked above
- Gift cards also for sale online
- Part of the Pandemic Support Team initiative through Noreast Custom Apparel
Queen Adeline is a sustainable fashion brand. They create wearable art inspired by the joy of living and celebrating the rich patterns and colors of African textiles. Each piece is one of a kind and hand made.
- Shop online and get it shipped directly to your house
- Currently running a buy one, donate one, mask initiative – for every mask you buy they donate to frontline personnel, those who are fighting for us on the front lines
- The link above goes directly to the masks, to shop other items click here
- Created a Pandemic Support team dedicated to helping local businesses. They are creating t-shirts with the brand/logo of the business for $17 dollars apiece, then $10 dollars goes directly to the business and $7 dollars goes to them.
- Click the link above, select the business/and or businesses you want to support and buy your shirts. Its a wonderful cause and a great way to help out businesses who aren’t able to have an online presence, gift cards etc.
- #hereforgood is the tagline, and I am so proud to be in a city that has incredible businesses like this who are doing so much good.
This local, Lawrence based brand was in the process of launching their first collection of bathing suits when this whole thing started. They quickly adapted and started making masks. These masks are soft, comfortable, reusable and washable. The design ensures the mask stays in place and one size fits all.
- Order masks online at the link above
- Reach out to the business directly with any other questions you may have
Spa and Salon located in Chelmsford, MA
- Shipping all products
- Local free delivery being offered
- Gift cards available for sale on their website
A Latina owned business, making self- care easy and beautiful.
- Free shipping on orders over $100
- Linen sprays, care boxes, candles and perfume oils
- Click the link above to shop
- Secondhand items are available to purchase online
- Accepting custom embroidery commissions
- Making masks to order, if you need one reach out – money made from masks goes towards making more masks
A bold, edgy, feminine brand, working to make sure all women feel beautiful
- Gift cards for purchase online
- Shop their current inventory
- Accessories, clothing, masks and more
- Reach out for your stylist needs
- Free shipping on orders over $30
- Doing an outdoor market on Sundays outside the back of Mill No. 5
- Delivery available and also part of the Noreast Custom Apparel Pandemic Support initiative
- Gift cards are available for purchase on their website – linked above
- Leaving reviews is a great way to also support – Yelp, Google or Facebook
Beautiful, handmade lipsticks in astonishing colors. I have one and I love them!
- You can purchase her handmade lipsticks via DM on instagram
- Like, share, follow her page for extra support
- Offering delivery to your doorstep
- Contact them at TinCanflowerco@outlook.com or reach out to them on their Instagram
- Online store at Etsy, linked above
- Shipping worldwide
- Buy anything you see on their Instagram feed, posting new content consistently
- Gift cards available for purchase
- Shipping available
Jewelry made with hardware. Unique, handmade pieces
- Order through link above
- Online shopping then delivery to your home
This is my list as it stands right now. Lets unite and support local businesses as much as we can, and if you don’t have the ability to purchase anything then please share their products, share their FB or IG pages. Keep our small businesses at the forefront of your minds and be conscious of what you’re spending your money on. I hope this list is helpful, and if you go through this and want me to add something please feel free to send me a message.